Fort Pearce was built during the Black Hawk War, a period of conflict with the Ute Indians, from 1865-1868. The 8 foot structure without roof was built to protect settlements and livestock from Indian raids. Next to the fort a large corral was built to hold in their cattle so they wouldn’t destroy the crops. The fort was built by a spring and wash and years after the fort was abandoned it served as a watering spot for travelers and their stock. There are still remains of the fort and is a historic place.
From Warner Valley Exit
- Head East on Warner Valley Road
- Paved road ends and turns to dirt road
- Continue for about 5.5 miles and turn right
- The parking area is about 500 ft ahead
- Walk up to the Fort